The ETG is the biggest technical and scientific society in Germany in the field of power engineering. The society promotes ongoing development in the generation, transmission, distribution and use of electrical power. Its aims are to spread information about new technological developments, support the internationalization of power supplies, and find viable compromises between society's needs and technically feasible solutions.
The ETG was founded in 1974 and currently has around 12,500 members.
- The development of power engineering
- New ways of generating, transmitting and distributing electricity
- Primary energy conservation measures
- The use of regenerative power sources (sun, wind, water), fuel cells
- The improvement of drive systems
- New power storage methods
- The use of new materials like superconductors
- New developments in power electronics and microelectronics
- Power systems, including computer-based and automation technology
- Trends in electric railways and vehicles
- New developments in the field of electro heating
- Organization of specialist conferences and workshops like the ETG Congress held in the years between the VDE Congresses. This forum gives members the opportunity to present as-yet unpublished technical and scientific papers to an expert audience
- Makes a major contribution to CIRED, the international conference on electrical distributions grids, through a working group
- Confers the Herbert Kind Award for academic excellence in the field of electrical power engineering, and the ETG Award for exceptional publications
The ETG, also located in Frankfurt am Main, is organized into the following specialist divisions:
- Electrical Power Generation
- Power Transmission and Distribution
- Power Economy
Application of Electrical Energy
- Electrical Machines and Drives
- Railways and Vehicles with Electrical Drives
- Electro heat
- Power Electronics
- Materials, Electrical Insulations and Diagnostics
- Contact Behavior and Switching
Publications and conferences:
The ETG is responsible for the "Elektrotechnische Zeitschrift (etz)" published by VDE-Verlag in Frankfurt. It also publishes "European Transactions on Electrical Power Engineering (ETEP)" as well as various ETG circulars.
The ETG organizes the biannual "International Conference on Integrated Power Electronics Systems - CIPS" www.vde.com/cips.
Recent conferences organized by the ETG have included "A New Era of Power Supply," "Electric Railway Systems," and "Modern Communication Methods Used by the Power Providers."
- The ETG works closely with:
- CIRED Congrès International des Réseaux Electriques de Distribution
- CIGRE Conference Internationale des Grands Reseaux Electriques à Haute Tension
- UIE Union Internationale d'Electrothermie
- EPE European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications
Chairman: Prof. Dr.-Ing. Jochen Kreusel
General Manager: Dipl.-Ing. Wolfgang Glaunsinger