VDE dialog - The Technology Magazine
Every three months, VDE reports on innovations and trends in technology, science and industry.
VDE dialog 3/2019: Ocean - Technology and the Environment
- SHIP PROPULSION: As the industry moves beyond the age of heavy fuel oil, there is a huge demand for concepts for alternative ship engines. The solutions range from fuel cell drives through liquefied petroleum gas, and even massive solar cell sails.
- MARINE LITTERING: The estimated 150 million tons of plastic littering the oceans is unacceptable – how can we make our seas clean again? Many initiatives are trying to tackle the problem with technical solutions.
- OCEAN PROJECTS: Researchers are attempting to unlock the true essence of water and to sustainably harness its full potential. An overview of various current technological innovations.
- POWER PLANTS: Cost-effective, environmentally friendly, and flexible – there are plenty of reasons for floating power plants at sea instead of building them on land.
- AEROSPACE: Galileo and PLATO: The satellite navigation system and scientific mission are two of the most significant European aerospace projects in recent years.
- NANOTECHNOLOGY: Microscopic parts, huge impact: Nanotechnology opens up a wealth of possible applications, and so is rapidly becoming a significant factor for economic success.
- 5G: While 5G licenses are under auction in Germany, other countries have already implemented the new mobile communications standard.