The online webinar was organized by IEA PVPS Task 13 in cooperation with MESIA (Middle East Solar Industry Association) and Solararabic and was held on 29 June 2021. The recording of this webinar is available here.
The IEA PVPS Task 13 has just released a new report entitled "Bifacial Photovoltaic Modules and Systems: Experience and Results from International Research and Pilot Applications". This report, with contributions from over forty contributing authors, provides an overview of bifacial PV technology, its benefits and challenges, as well as regional descriptions of R&D being done to better understand this technology.
This webinar began with a short overview of bifacial cell and module technologies by Dr. Radovan Kopecek and was complemented by a talk on bifacial yield assessment models by Dr. Joshua Stein. As the moderator of this webinar, Dr. Stein welcomed the following experts to the panel discussion:
- Dr. Joshua S. Stein, Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, NM., USA
- Dr. Radovan Kopecek, ISC Konstanz, Germany
- Jörg Althaus, TÜV Rheinland, Cologne, Germany
- Aasif Samadh, Trina Solar, Middle East and Africa
- Mohamed Saady, Jinko Solar, Middle East and Africa
The expert panel discussed the following topics during this webinar:
- What recent technology improvements have been made for bifacial cells and what does the future hold? Are there bifacial specific modes to consider?
- What are some important findings concerning bifacial module testing, standards, and performance, especially in the MENA region?
- What is the current state of the art in bifacial yield assessment models? What are the challenges for modeling improvements?
- Market overview of bifacial PV adoption in the MENA region. How Jinko is changing the design of bifacial modules?
- How is Trina designing bifacial modules and systems to get higher yields? Why are bifacial trackers such a good match for low LCOE?
To find out more about the discussions from this webinar, please contact our expert Ulrike Jahn.