VDE FNN in focus
As a technical regulator, the Forum Network Technology/Network Operation in the VDE (VDE FNN) is actively driving the fundamental transformation of the power grid brought about by the energy transition. Its members are companies that work for the power grid. Important publications include the VDE-Application Rules, FNN Guidelines, FNN Studies FNN Positions
VDE FNN in figures
- Year founded: 2008
- Members: Over 470 companies and organizations
- Published VDE-Application rules: 24
- Published FNN guidelines: around 90
- Voluntary employees in committees: Approx. 500
Last updated 03/2021
The basis of our work
- The power grid is the basis for the successful implementation of the energy transition.
- Transmission systems, distribution networks and generating plants must be developed as one interconnected system.
- The entire system needs to be developed further both technically and in market terms.
- Targeted and proactive technical development is essential for avoiding costly retrofits.
- An orientation on the diversity of individual interests is not effective.
What defines VDE FNN
- In VDE FNN different stakeholders such as manufacturers, network operators, generating plant operators and scientific institutions identify upcoming technical challenges and develop joint solutions.
- The objective is to maintain a safe system operation with an increasing penetration of renewable energies. Specifically, this means to ensure safe system operation with 80% renewable energies by 2050 under all operating conditions. Supply quality and availability must remain at current levels.
- The VDE-Application Rules support a transparent and proactive development of the overall system.
- The cooperation of expert groups on forward-thinking regulation leads to a higher security of investment for product developers, manufacturers, network customers and network operators.
- Output from technical regulation at VDE FNN supports a rapid application of innovative technologies, making them suitable for everyday operation and ensuring their compatibility with the overall system.
What we strive to achieve
- Serve as point of contact for the technical implementation of the energy transition
- Strengthen VDE FNN´s position in politics, media and the public sphere
- Raise awareness for the importance of electrical networks and the proactive technical development of the entire system
- Establish framework conditions for technical self-regulation
- Liaise with experts in public institutions and research institutes
- VDE FNN is financed through membership contributions and publications.
- VDE FNN Members include companies that operate or provide services to the power grid as well as developers of network technology and operators of systems connected to the power grid.
The Forum for Network Technology & Network Operation is a committee within the VDE association, as per Art. 12 of the VDE statutes. The most important committees within VDE FNN are the Board, Forum, Steering Groups, Project Groups and Expert Networks.
The FNN Board consists of the chairman of the Forum, two vice-chairmen and a VDE Board member represented in the FNN. The term of office of the current Board of Directors: April 27, 2021 to April 26, 2024.
Dr. Joachim Kabs, Bayernwerk Netz GmbH, Regensburg
Dr. Dirk Biermann , 50Hertz Transmission GmbH, Berlin
Ingo Schönberg, PPC AG, Mannheim
VDE Board Member
Ansgar Hinz, VDE, Frankfurt (M.)
|Name||Area of expertise||Telephone|
|Susann Bartels, M.Sc., M.A.||Cybersecurity for Power Grids||+49 69 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Thoralf Bohn, Dipl.-Ing.||System Operation, Environmental Protection and Conservation||+49 69 email@example.com|
|Frank Borchardt, Dipl.-Ing.||Digitalisation and Metering||+49 69 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Mike Elsner, Dipl.-Ing.||Metering and Power Line Crossings||+49 69 email@example.com|
|Salome Gonzalez Vazquez, M.Sc.||International Relations||+49 69 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Christine Michalek, M.Sc.||System issues and network connection||+49 69 email@example.com|
|Dieter Quadflieg, Dipl.-Ing.||Network and Supply Quality||+49 69 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Silvian Radke, M.Sc.||Grid connection and innovation||+49 69 email@example.com|
|Florian Regnery, M.A.||E-Mobility and Innovation||+49 69 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Steffen Schostan, Dipl.-Ing.||Network Connection||+49 69 email@example.com|
|Laura Woryna, M.Sc.||Digitalisation and Metering||+49 69 firstname.lastname@example.org|
Forum Netztechnik/Netzbetrieb in the VDE (FNN)
Tel.: +49 30 383868-70
Fax: +49 30 383868-77
VDE FNN history
Here you will find selected milestones from the VDE FNN work since its foundation in 2008.
VDE FNN study "Dielectric strength" shows the extent to which equipment can handle higher voltages.
VDE FNN creates the basis for the first nationwide uniform measurement and billing of electricity from storage systems with the Guideline "Connection and operation of storage systems to the low-voltage grid".
VDE FNN celebrates its 10th anniversary at the "Grid'n'Roll" event in Berlin.
Presentation of the FNN Roadmap "From Network to System" at the Network Technology Congress in Nuremberg.
The FNN Guideline "Power line crossing" becomes effective.
Among many events, the first Gridslam took place in 2015.
The 8th FNN/ETG Tutorial Protection/Conduction Technology took place.
The TAB Expert Forum, the ZMP and the Technical Congress on Network Technology took place.
The FNN Guideline "Electronic delivery bill for measuring equipment and components for measuring systems" has been published.
VDE-Application Rule "Outdoor Connection Cabinets" (VDE-AR-N 4102) has been published.
VDE-Application rule "Weather-dependent overhead line operation" (VDE-AR-N 4210) comes into force.
The VDE application rule "Network Documentation" creates the basis for the use of geographic information systems (GIS) by network operators.
In 2008 the office was founded and built up.