The VDE Institute tests and certifies pedelecs and e-bikes with respect to electrical, mechanical and chemical safety.
Product properties tested include the following:
- Mechanical operational stability and mechanical functions of the bicycle
- Service life tests on safety-relevant mechanical components
- Minimum requirements for electronic equipment
- Minimum requirements for electromagnetic compatibility (EMC)
- Electrical safety in accordance with EN 60335-1, where charging must be considered unsupervised operation
- Comparison of braking forces
- Production inspection
- Functional safety
- Chemical PAH test
The following requirements and standards, among others, form the underlying basis:
- Relevant and respective parts of the Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC
- DIN EN 15194
- DIN EN 62133:2003 and UN Transport Condition [Chapter] 38.3
Efficient testing procedures
The VDE has developed cutting-edge and efficient testing procedures that can realistically determine the service life of a pedelec. These efficient and effictive testing procedures are facilitated, for example, through high operating loads in which intensity and frequency with mechanical load tests is structered in such a way that the are scientifically recognized and fulfill the state of technology.
The product is awarded the VDE Mark once the test has been successfully passed. This mark ensures that the product complies with national, European, and international requirements.
The VDE Mark helps retailers and consumers make important purchasing decisions and indicates safety and quality. Quality or safety defects can have serious consequences even for pedelecs.
The VDE Institute also tests electrical components, cables and wires, batteries and electromagnetic compatibility for other electric bikes such as s-pedelecs or e-scooters.
In terms of testing electric cars, the VDE Institute has been notified as a technical service by the German Bureau of Motor Vehicles [Kraftfahrtbundesamt (KBA)] and is thus able to award the e-mark.
The European type approval can also be obtained for e-bikes that are subject to approval as long as they comply with the requirements.