Anyone wanting to bring their ideas to life in the garden relies on a range of different electronic and petrol-powered tools. Many hobby gardeners underestimate the dangers of using tools in the garden. Each year, around 200,000 accidents take place in gardens and allotments, partially due to faulty or improperly used power tools. Anyone wanting to avoid any such risk should look for the VDE mark when buying a garden power tool, which has stood for safety and quality in electronics since 1920.
Garden Appliances – Testing and Certification at the VDE Institute
Lawnmowers, hedge trimmers, scarifiers, leaf blowers and chainsaws are standard tools for gardening fans. As these tools are subject to high standards, quality and safety are a must. Garden tools must be robust and stable, easy to use, safe and electromagnetically compatible. The VDE Institute offers manufacturers of garden power tools a range of services regarding safety, usability and electromagnetic compatibility.
Household and professional tools on the test bench
At the VDE Institute, gardening tools are tested in a variety of ways - even during the development process. Through our position as a Notified Body for the Machine Directive, we support the market introduction of products subject to model approval. Furthermore, we are a recognized authority on sound pollution guidelines for the use of tools and machines outside (Outdoor Noise Directive). We offer all tests in one place. This means you not only save time, but also money.
Our special test facilities include
- Ball shooting facility to assess the mechanical safety of lawnmowers
- Braking time measuring equipment
- Engine breaking time tests for all performance classes
- Testing equipment for the kickback angle on chainsaws
- Test facilities to assess the safety and performance of batteries, e.g. lithium ion batteries
- Precision class 1 acoustics measuring room and acoustic camera
- Modern EMC test center
- Chemistry laboratory with comprehensive analysis facilities
We carry out 50 different individual tests on lawnmowers alone.
Using chainsaws can come with various risks. The “kickback” is one of the biggest dangers when using a chainsaw.
Our services for garden tools at a glance
- Acoustics and noise emission
- Battery checks, including safety checks for lithium ion batteries
- Conformity checks and EG model approval certification
- Chemistry and sustainability
- Electromagnetic compatibility (EMC)
- Environmental simulations and protection class tests
- Inspection and monitoring
- International service and market access
- Mechanical and electric safety tests according to the Machine Directive and Product Safety Act
- Product comparison tests and consumer tests
- Risk analyses
- VDE SMART Manual
We offer the following certifications
- VDE, VDE-GS, VDE-ENEC, VDE-EMC, VDE Quality Tested
- CB certificates, CCC, EAC
- EU certificates of conformity
- cCSAus for North America (in partnership with the CSA)